Are you a Windows 10 user? The updated Windows 10 version is definitely the best thing to have in your system!
But along with its pros comes constant updation of some technical features that ensures its smooth functioning, one of which happens to be the DHCP lease time.
For having a basic idea, DHCP lease time is the setting that would indicate the time period of the assigned IP address of your Windows 10 devices.
After the time period is about to end, the computer router will demand a renewal, where you would need to either renew or change the DHCP lease time Windows 10!
This is where most of the users lack as they aren’t aware of how to change DHCP lease time windows 10. But going ahead with reading this article will eventually solve all your queries!
Let’s get started to discover the mystery of DHCP lease time!
What Is Dhcp Lease Time All About?
Have the question of how internet communications work wandered in your head? Well, it’s a local area network that keeps all the computer devices connected who are linked with their respective IP addresses!
If you aren’t a tech pro, you might not know what an IP address is. Basically, computers have an address just like us.
The only difference that lies here is that this IP address only comprises numbers, and is an identity of a computer to get connected with other devices and IP addresses!
This is where DHCP, short for Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol, kicks in!
DHCP is a network server that dynamically structures and assigns these IP addresses. Unfortunately, you can’t have ownership of this DHCP-assigned IP address forever. It’s like having its lease, which invents the term of DHCP lease time!
DHCP Lease Time
It’s nothing but the representation of the time period between your computer or device and its IP address.
It displays the time of getting the address from the router and the time when this address requires a renewal process, that is, DHCP lease expiration.
Do you know you can be changed too for meeting your connection requirements? Wondering how we’ll show you!
How To Change DHCP Lease Time Of A Windows 10 Device
Sometimes the default DHCP lease time can be too short for your window’s download process and in some events, you might find it long and want to free up some connections for a fast network run.
Well, good for you that you can have your desired time lease by following some simple steps.
We will now show you how actually you can change DHCP lease time windows 10 specific through 2 easy processes. Let’s explore the first one: via a router.
Here, one very important thing to arrange beforehand is accessing your router’s configuration interface that handles the DHCP lease time, otherwise, you won’t be successful in changing it! Now let’s focus on the steps:
- Open any web browser in your system.
- Type the IP address of your computer.
- Now, you would need to enter the correct User ID and password for getting in the router settings.
- This will open up the router configuration page where when you find the LAN, you would see the DHCP module server.
- Under it, you would be able to see the default setting of DHCP lease time. Change it accordingly.
- Now, just save the changes and reboot your system afterwards. It’s all done!
However, if you don’t get the router access by any chance, we got you covered with one more method!
Since you don’t have router access, it’s a common assumption that you must be having a dedicated DHCP server to automatically assign IP addresses.
With that, let’s proceed with the steps!
- Firstly, open the Run Dialog box in your system.
- Now, you need to type ‘dhcpmgmt.msc’ and press enter.
- Now for what opens, you would see various DHCP scopes, basically consecutive ranges of IP addresses that a DHCP server can draw. Open the one you like.
- Next comes going to the Lease duration for DHCP clients section under which select the General tab.
- Here, ‘limited to’ is the tab where you need to change the scope as per as your choice.
- Like the previous method, save your changes and reboot the computer.
That was on how to set DHCP lease time removing the default one.
But what if you are a newbie to all this tech stuff and don’t even know the time period of when your IP address may expire. We have the apt solution!
How To See Dhcp Lease Time Of A Windows 10 Device
You may not realize but it is very crucial to check upon the DHCP lease time so that you can become aware of when the network connection details lease expires.
There are many ways to check out this, but for a windows 10 user, the only best way is listed in the below given detailed steps. Have a look:
- To begin with, either open Command Prompt” or “Power Shell of your windows 10 device.
- You will see a command window where you need to type ipconfig /all. This command will tell you regarding all the network adapters installed on your PC.
- Among these, select the one that you use to connect to your internet.
- Now, a bunch of insights related to your computer network would pop up on the screen. Somewhere here you would see “Lease Obtained” and “Lease Expired”.
Here lease obtained means when you received the IP address from the router, and Lease expired means the time when you need to renew it!
Pretty easy, right? Now that you have seen the expiration date of this lease, many worries over how to renew this thing! Let’s get you an answer to this!
How To Renew DHCP Lease Time Of A Windows 10 Device
If you don’t want to change the lease time and just want to renew it, it’s a good sign as this renewal process ensures sturdy IP address allocation to your device, and it’s always good not sticking on to the same IP address for longer periods!
And with having such a smooth DHCP renew windows 10 process, it’s never too late to consider a renewal!
Let’s cue as to how to proceed on of you want to renew the DHCP lease time of your Windows 10 PC!
- Yet again, you need to open the Command Prompt or PowerShell.
- Run any of the following commands in it, either ipconfig /release or ipconfig /renew.
- It will take a few minutes for the command to run. When it concluded it’s run, you would see some information regarding network adaptets of your system. And that’s it, it would be renewed.
- Still, for a quick check, run the ipconfig /all command again like we did earlier.
- Check the network adapter’s Lease Obtained and Lease Expires.
If it’s shown updated, your job here is done! However, if by any chance it is not updated, try rebooting your device. Then you would definitely see the changes in the time period. That was on how you can perform a renewal process within minutes!
Additionally, one thing that people generally face after this is constant IP address technical errors, namely, not being able to connect with the internet or communicate with other devices in the vicinity.
Essentially resulting from a mismatch between the settings on your router and device. Cautiously check out all the settings of your router and if necessary, call on a technical expert.
Now, you would be all clear regarding the DHCP and it’s components including lease time!
To summarise, DHCP lease time is nothing but the life range of your device’s temporary IP address.
Not only you can check it through various ways and renew it after its maturity, you can even change the DHCP scope as you want be it its extension or reduction.
For a Windows 10 user, this can be done through two methods, one using the router settings and the other through the DHCP server. Apply whatever suits you!
Hope this article helps fulfill your purpose!
Also Read: Window Theme Stories: Windows 10 Explorer Dark Theme