You were watching your favorite TV show, and suddenly the video went blank. It makes you wonder why this is happening? It also makes you ponder why Kodi 17 not working on windows 10?
You quickly googled your problem and stumbled upon our blog. Rest easy, all your doubts will be solved right here!
Also, the solution is really easy! In this tech blog, we will show you how to resolve Kodi errors like buffering, crashing, freezing, and video playback issues. Moreover, you will also know the reasons behind Kodi having stopped in Windows 10.
Common Reasons Behind Why Is Kodi Not Opening Windows 10
Many users complain, “Why is Kodi not working on PC?” “Why is my video freezing on Kodi?” Or “Why won’t my Kodi start?” We understand your frustration of not being able to play video and music.
If this happens, it means that the Kodi app is corrupted or something is stopping it from running smoothly. Well, there are numerous causes behind Kodi being stopped working on Windows 10.
It can become very difficult to find the root cause behind the error on your own. But the good news is we now know what are the reasons and how they can be fixed.
Below we have shrunk down the list of possible reasons which cause Kodi to crash on Windows 10.
Reason 1 – Broken Add-Ons
Have you been installing all sorts of add-ons? Doing so will either confuse the database files or corrupt your Kodi installation. These add-ons are developed by third-party manufacturers which are not mostly compatible with the app.
Reason 2 – Kodi Is Still Running
Kodi won’t open if the processes from the last session are still running in the background.
Reason 3 – Broken Kodi Installation Or Data
You have installed a broken version of Kodi that why you feel something is wrong with the data, profile, or newly installed app.
Reason 4 – Graphics Driver
If Kodi is going blank, crashes, or does not display properly on Windows 10, then your graphics driver could be either corrupt or outdated.
Reason 5 – Outdated Software
Malfunction on Kodi must be happening due to an outdated version of the software.
Reason 6 – Hardware Acceleration
Another major cause behind Kodi not working properly on Windows 10 is failing and crashing hardware. So hardware acceleration is a must.
Reason 7 – Firewall
Kodi is a streaming app, it directly communicates with the Internet through a firewall. So if the access is denied, it may crash or may fail to connect.
So these were some possible causes behind Kodi crashing on your Windows 10.
Now, you must be asking, “How do I fix my Kodi on my laptop?” Some even wonder, “Does Kodi still work on Windows 10?” Or “How to get the right solution?”
Check out the next subtopic to find the answers.
6 Easy Solutions To Fix Kodi Going Black, Turning Black Or Crashing On Windows 10
Is your Kodi video stuttering on Windows 10? Or are you facing any other problem on the app while streaming a video?
That is why we are here to guide you to resolve and troubleshoot the most commonly encountered issues. We are sure that by the end of this article, your issues related to Kodi will be solved, and you will be able to resume watching your favorite movies and series without any disturbance.
The listed solutions below might help you.
So let’s get started!
Solution 1: Update DirectX
Does your Kodi stop playing on Windows 10? Then try the very first way to fix it. For that, you need to update the DirectX.
When you have the latest version of DirectX, you will be able to run Kodi in window without any Kodi issues.
But before you move ahead to download the new DirectX, you need to first check which current DirectX version you are using. Later, you can decide whether to update it or not.
Here are the steps to do so:
1. Go in the search box and type the dxdiag and hit Enter to open it.
2. Now, you will notice your DirectX Version under the System tabs.
3. At the bottom, you will find the current version of DirectX.
4. If you notice that the DirectX on your PC is not DirectX 12, then you need to update the DirectX on your Windows 10 PC.
5. You can find the new updates on the official website of Microsoft, and also check the previous and current versions of DirectX.
Are you still having issues while opening Kodi on Windows 10? Then, have a look at the next solution.
Solution 2: Disable Kodi Hardware Acceleration
Wondering why Kodi crashes Windows 10 PC? Well, there are various reasons behind it.
You can try using Hardware Acceleration to smoothen the music or videos in the Kodi app. Sometimes, the reason behind the Kodi blank screen can also be led by Kodi hardware acceleration settings.
So we strongly suggest you turn off Kodi hardware acceleration so that Kodi does not open errors in Windows 10 gets resolved.
For that, you need to follow the below steps:
1. Click and open the Kodi software.
2. Then, go to the left pane and tap on the Settings.
3. Now, click on the Player among Settings.
4. Go to the left bottom of the window and select it to change it to Expert.
5. Then, go to the left pane where the hit Videos is. Next, go to the button right pane and find the Allow hardware acceleration DXVA2 option.
6. Once you find the Allow hardware acceleration DXVA2 option, then turn off the button to disable it.
7. Now, exit the Kodi screen, then reboot Windows 10 to resolve the problem.
Solution 3: Clear Kodi Add-Ons Caches
Finally, we have found the Kodi black screen fix for those whose screen goes blank while playing the videos. As we all know, various add-ons are embedded in Kodi software such as Streaming add-ons, music add-ons, Program add-ons, Picture add-ons, Video add-ons, Game add-ons, etc.
So there is a high chance of these add-ons causing Kodi to stop functioning on your PC as some of them may not be released officially.
In case your Kodi is not working after some add-ons, then you need to remove them. Along with that, you need to clear the cache.
The cache stores the previous information, which can cause errors in the Kodi player, or perhaps the Kodi add-ons are not suitable and workable on your Windows 10 PC.
Here is how to solve the error:
1. First of all, start your Kodi media player.
2. Click on the Add-ons which are located on the left pane of the Kodi interface.
3. After doing so, you will see various types of add-ons. Make sure to pick the ones you want to remove from the app and then begin the cache clearing process.
4. Now, reboot your computer to take effect. Once the ad-on caches are removed, you can play a streaming video to see if the problem called “no stream is available error” is gone. Also, see if the buffering app has worked well.
By doing so, add-ons not working will be completely removed from Windows 10. In the future, you can re-download them from official sites or reliable sources.
Solution 4: Uninstall And Update Kodi Software
Something may have gone wrong with Kodi if it has stopped working on your computer. If that is the case, we recommend you check if the Kodi software is corrupted or not and if there is a need to update the app for your Windows 10.
For instance, if you have recently streamed a pirated film from a not-so-known source on your Windows 7, 8, or 10, then there are chances of your computer being infected.
Thus, it will lead to Kodi crashing on PC error.
Before you update the app, make sure to uninstall the previous add-ons.
1. Find and navigate to the Control Panel.
2. Here, try to View by Category and find the Uninstall program, which is located under Programs.
3. Next, in the Programs and Features window, go down and find Kodi. Then, click on it to Uninstall.
4. After that, restart your computer to take effect.
5. Once the old and outdated Kodi gets deleted, visit the official site of Kodi to download a new one for Windows 10.
6. Now, install the updated version of Kodi software on your computer.
7. Open and stream videos to see if the issue persists or not.
Are you still struggling with the Kodi app? Then check out the next solution.
Solution 5: Use VPN On Kodi
You can watch as many videos as you want on Kodi, but there are some days when you are unable to start videos on it even after playing it. Though it happens once in a blue moon, such errors should be fixed permanently.
And such a problem lies in the Internet Service Provider, which stops certain sources of music and videos. Thus, the app videos keep freezing or buffering with no response.
In such situations, be wise and take assistance from VPN (Virtual Private Network), which helps you to share sources through public networks.
It is up to use which VPN network you prefer, just use it on your PC to share movies and videos on the secure network connection.
Solution 6: Update Graphics Card Driver
A GPU is indeed essential for videos. If the Kodi crashes or the screen goes blank, then it may result from the corrupted or outdated display driver on your computer.
In such cases, you better update the display card driver and make the Kodi app running smooth like butter on your Windows 10. So if possible, you can first uninstall the driver in Device Manager.
Next, you need to get the latest graphics driver from the official sites. Or else, you can benefit from the Drive Booster. The tool will scan all the outdated and missing files on your computer along with the display driver.
Once the Driver Booster is scanned for Windows 10, then you can pick to update the graphics driver under Display adapters. Once the graphic driver gets installed, start Kodi and see if you can stream videos or not.
Our Final Words On Kodi 17 Not Working On Windows 10
We hope you found this blog on Kodi 17 not working on Windows 10 issue useful. In conclusion, we would like to express that if you want to enjoy watching videos in peace, then refer to the fixes mentioned above.
The solutions mentioned in this article will solve your Kodi problem within a few minutes. Plus, always remember to use add-ons from reliable sources and play music or want films and shows with copyright. Lastly, instead of illegal sites, run this app on official ones only. Visit our website regularly for more articles related to Kodi and many more streaming apps.